Attack the block is a film that focuses on the youth battling against an alien invasion. It shows a stereotypical representation of adolescents from South London, presenting them as being 'thugs'. The costume shows this as the characters are dressed in snapback caps and hoodies. These types of clothing are usually associated with 'gangsters' or 'hoodlums' which again, is a stereotype amongst estate children. This therefore offered the audience to see the dominant representation of the youth.
They also were swearing which is a stereotype amongst teenagers. The phrase 'block' in the title refers to the estate in which they live, which I think was a good title that matches the content of the film well.
I think that the target audience would be 15-25 year olds as they may feel that they can identify with some of the characters and themes represented within the film. Since the classification actually is rated as a 15, this would make sense that it would appeal to that age group. However, I do think that even younger children such as preteens would also watch the film, especially if they live in an estate and see this type of youth where they live.
Personally, I didn't enjoy the film as I felt that the monster explosions were too fake looking and the storyline was quite stereotypical, in relation to other films which have a 'battle' type theme throughout the film. It seems too common of a storyline and wasn't very original as it's 'us against the world' theme suggests.
The alien aspect of the film most likely would also appeal to the younger youth since it is a fictional, mythical creature which doesn't actually exist. In the sense of 'hoodrats' trying to fight aliens, the narrative could be deemed as somewhat unique as it's usually adults that would take on this role.
I think that the camerawork was also quite amateur, suggesting that the film is a low budget film. I think that although, a variety of shots were used, the camera was quite shaky throughout. Although it may have been the intention to use a handheld camera effect, I personally think that the film could've benefited from a more professional production process. Editing was also quite simple, without the use of CGI being used for the aliens but rather it was just a man made figure.
I think that the acting was quite amateur from the younger actors and even from Jodie Whittaker. It wasn't too bad but I think it could have been done better. Overall, I'd probably rate the film a 6 or 7 out of ten due to it's somewhat original idea but it was still an amateur attempt at a film, in my opinion.