Friday, 15 April 2016

Coursework Evaluation

The brief I had to follow for MEST2 was to plan a 30 minute film that I would like to make and produce a 3 minute extract from it alongside a promotional booklet for 'The Little Picturehouse'. For the film, I worked in a group consisting of Callum, Abayomi, Mamduh and myself. The film we planned to create is called 'La Sombra' and it is a Spanish film which follows the life of a hit man as he is being chased by his drug cartel boss. The topic that was chosen was ‘Modern-noir’. I then, independently, created my own promotional booklet for the film as well as some other films that other students have produced.

Institutional research was conducted in order to aid us when it came to ensuring that our film would be classified at the most as a 15 certificate. We carried out this research by studying the purpose of the BBFC. We found examples of existing films which were classed as a 15 certificate and used these as guidelines to ensure that our film fit the criteria required for this certificate. For example, the use of strong language is permissible for a 15 certificate and in the extract a song at the end contains some strong language. Research into Film London was also beneficial as I found that they help people display their filmmaking talent by funding creative artists in order to aid them in producing their films. This is similar to what The Little Picturehouse is offering the finalists therefore learning about Microwave film was helpful.

Our audience research took place in the form of focus groups where we pitched our ideas to our fellow peers who raised any concerns regarding our film’s plot and target audience. Since a main portion of the target audience would be adolescents, this was beneficial as it allowed us to directly attain feedback from people who fit into this age range to see if it would appeal to them. Any feedback that they gave was greatly appreciated and aided my group and I to come to a conclusion on the appropriate subject matter for the film.

The target audience which we chose to use for this film ranges from teenagers from the age of 15 all the way up to middle aged people in their late forties. I would say this film is most likely to appeal to males more so than females. However, it should also be successful in attracting the female audience as well, especially since there is a love affair included in the storyline which is typical for a female audience to enjoy. Aspects of ‘the female gaze’ could be considered as a factor that could attract female viewers since most of the characters are male.

The film is predominantly targeted towards those of middle class due it being the most common social class to visit art house cinemas and enjoy the arthouse experience.
I think that, with regards to psychographics, the film will most likely appeal to those who are classed as ‘strugglers’ as they will be more likely to watch the film as a form of escapism from their perhaps, mundane lives. This film could provide this type of excitement as it’s an existing theme that people are familiar with, but has the twist of being a silent film. It could also appeal to those who are considered as ‘explorers’ as they may want to delve into an adventure on the big screen. They may find great appreciation for a more unique take on the typical movie following a hitman.

I think that one strength of the target audience that we chose would most certainly be that the range of the targeted audience is quite large which allows for a variety of different people to be attracted to this type of movie. This means that both genders could find audience pleasures in this film. Particularly, a common audience pleasure that could be found in this movie is the idea of escapism, as the target audience could feel as though they were sutured into the narrative, allowing them to be engrossed by the events occurring in the film.
A weakness of the target audience is targeting middle classed teenagers as the focus group didn’t really allow us to explore different social classes since we were all from similar backgrounds, socially. This made it harder to receive feedback from this audience as we were not in contact with anyone who could allow us to gain an insight into what this audience may want to see in a film like ‘La Sombra’.

However, with that being said, the idea of attracting teenagers in the first place, regardless of social class, allowed us to, in my opinion, attract a new audience consisting more working class  adolescents who wouldn’t usually choose to watch an independent film. This means that ‘mainstreamers’ may also be encouraged to watch this film as it could be considered ‘mainstream, with an arthouse twist’. Those teenagers that are currently not informed on the arthouse genre could actually become a new audience for this type of cinema. This therefore fits the brief as one of the objectives of this project was so that ‘The Little Picturehouse’ could reach out to a wider audience.

I particularly like the two tilt shots that were used during the canal scenes. The first is when La Sombra drinks from his hip flask and the second is when he throws his phone into the canal. I think that the short time-frame of these scenes allows for this to be fast-paced and would be unexpected from the audience’s perspective. The tracking shot used as La Sombra walks away from the canal is effective, in my opinion, as it allows the audience to feel as though they are actually part of the scene. However, a shadow of the tripod is visible on his blazer which could have been re-filmed if this was noticed during the filming process.

The scenes that were filmed using a handheld camera could be considered as inspired by other arthouse films such as ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’ as well as ‘Donnie Darko’. I also think that the non-diegetic voiceover is an important addition to the film which allows the audience to understand the protagonist’s cognitions.
With regards to the mise-en-scene of the film, I would say that the costume worn by the protagonist used is quite fitting due to the setting of the party scene, although the destination is initially unclear.

A technical difficulty faced was during the split screen scene which I think could have been merged together a little better. I also think that more transitions could have been used in order to include variety within the film and connecting the different types of shots. With that being said, the transition between the canal scene and the taxi scene was well-edited, in my opinion.

The accompanying music was also placed well in between the two clips. The non-diegetic music used during the taxi scene, along with the transition was contrapuntal to the overall atmosphere of the scene which I think was effective throughout the scene. A transition here was also used to enable viewers to see that time has passed although  the scene remains in the same location.

My front cover matches some key conventions of a typical art centre or cinema brochure quite well, in my opinion, because I ensured that I looked at a variety of brochures in order to take inspiration whilst still aiming to keep the cover looking quite simplistic and somewhat unique. I would say one convention that I tried to abide by was having a clear colour scheme that consisted of a minimal number of colours. I did this by basing the colour of the magazine on the colour of the protagonist’s blazer which came out, digitally, as a coral-red. I then paired this with black in order to keep the page looking sophisticated and not overbearingly colourful. I kept the background colour of the page as white, however, because I wanted the page to be quite clean-looking.

The title and date of the publication were clearly placed at the top of the page. I should have also included a strapline, though, as the cover is lacking in this field. I used a picture from La Sombra’s photoshoot on the front cover as a central image and I also used name checks in order to clearly place the name of the other films which is a convention that is typically used in arts centre brochures. This allows readers to know exactly what will be featured within the promotional booklet.

I had taken a look at a variety of different contents pages in order to get a broader idea of the different styles used within brochures. One aspect of the contents page that I should have improved is the use of images for each film’s feature page. I would’ve liked to have been able to use the other films’ pictures in order to add more content to the page as it looks a little too simplistic, in my opinion.

The double page spread met key conventions in relation to the layout of the pages. For example, I used columns which are typically seen in a variety of different print texts. I also based the layout around the image which is also common. The reflection, in my opinion, could have been fine-tuned a lot more precisely which I found difficult to do. I think if I had more shots of the protagonist, this task would have been easier to produce.

I think that an alternative representation of a hitman could be perceived by the audience as it isn’t usually common for the hitman to make a mistake when he is dealing with such serious business that have dire consequences if he killed the wrong man.
However, a dominant representation for the protagonist has definitely been used as it is stereotypically a man who is involved in this type of industry which has been reinforced in this film.

Perkins’ theory of stereotypes can be applied to this film as this is a true stereotype as the protagonist is a man which is why La Sombra is referred to as a ‘hitman’. I think could have been challenged. I think that had a female have been used, the film could have been even more unique as it would explore a different story entirely.

If I had chosen the third brief, I would have created an online film blog which would have contained character profiles for the characters of La Sombra. This could be used as a form of promotion, towards those who hadn’t already seen the film or the link would be posted at the end of the screening in order for viewers to interact further with the brand after having seen the film. The blog would be sponsored by ‘The Little Picturehouse’ as a form of support for La Sombra. I would have also used the blog to embed video interviews from the actors and production team in order for the audience to gain a better understanding of the production process of La Sombra. The blog would feature links to social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for both ‘La Sombra’ and ‘The Little Picturehouse.’
With regards to supplying user-generated content, I would have taken inspiration from Plan B’s promotion strategy where he teamed up with Tag London to promote the brand using a hashtag on Twitter. For my online promotion, I would encourage viewers to log on to and share a live podcast where they could ask questions and receive answers to do with the ideas behind the film.
I believe that the brief was quite well met because we used the idea of a ‘foreign language’ which was mentioned in the description of ‘The Little Picturehouse,’ whilst also allowing the film to be a silent movie, from the perspective of the protagonist. I think that the subject matter of the film would help to, as mentioned in the brief, expand The Little Picturehouse’s audience. In particular, this would take place by presenting arthouse to the younger generation by using the film La S